Frequently asked questions

A licence is required for the public use and screening of films. But what does “public screening” mean?

Any screening other than one that takes place within the closest circle of family and friends is generally considered a public screening. In such situations, the screening of works requires a license from the film’s copyright holders or a party representing them.

May I screen films and documentaries at school during class, at a youth centre, at a library or at an after-school club?

Screening films and documentaries at schools, youth centers, libraries, or after-school clubs constitute public use of the work which requires a license from the copyright holders. A license is required also for the screening of a few minutes or seconds.

Is there a streaming service provided?

We don’t provide a streaming service of our own. The idea behind this website is to offer a selected catalog of movies that we represent. Please note that the use of this website does not require registration.

We acknowledge the need for streaming services among our customers. You can read the approved sources for presenting a movie from next questions.

May I screen films to an audience from legal streaming services?

Streaming services are subject to the same rules as the screening of DVDs. If the screening takes place in a public space or an event anyone may access, a separate licence is required from the copyright holders or a party representing them. In closed events such as movie nights with friends, a separate screening licence is not required.

From which sources I can screen a movie?

You can show the films we represent from any legal source. These include, for example, legal DVDs, Blu-rays, TV recordings and streaming and subscription services. The rights holders have the right to define the presentation of their works to the public, and our mutual agreements specify that the source of the work’s presentation is irrelevant, as long as it is legal.

The Kopiosto’s license obtained by the Finland’s Board of Education for schools regarding the recording and presentation of TV and radio programs does not cover the presentation of films in cinemas or video distribution from Yle Areena or Elävä arkisto. Read more in Kopiosto’s article regarding the use of TV programmes in education. If your school has our Vuosi- or Yhdistelmälupa, you can present movies from Yle Areena or Elävä arkisto that we represent.

We are aware of the challenge, that we are living in a transition phase where organization-specific accounts are not yet offered as a solution. The matter is brought up a lot in our discussions and we believe that there will be relief in the coming years.

What are included in Yhdistelmälupa, Vuosilupa and Kertalupa?

With Yhdistelmälupa you can present our international and domestic movies, documents, and TV shows.

Please see the lists below:

International studios list

Domestic movies list

Vuosilupa includes only international movies.

With Kertalupa you can select a movie, document, or TV show for your screening from our international or domestic list.

As a Vuosilupa customer, how can I upgrade to Yhdistelmälupa so that I can also show domestic films?

You can fill out the Yhdistelmälupa application normally and indicate in the “Lisätietoja” information field from when you want the domestic film screening licenses to be added into force. We can see from our systems if you are already a Vuosilupa customer, but it is good to mention this separately. Please remember to state the up-to-date number of students if you are applying for a Yhdistelmälupa for the school.

Note! Yhdistelmälupa is only to public, not commercial entities.

If the matter was unclear, please call us or send us a message and we will see together how we act in your case – Contact information

From where I can see which movies are included in my license?

Please see the lists below:

International studios list (For Yhdistelmälupa, Vuosilupa, and Kertalupa)

Domestic movies list (For Yhdistelmälupa and Kertalupa)

All our domestic movies are listed and limited but there are more international movies from our represented international studios to choose from. If you have a certain international movie in mind and you’re not sure about its rights, we recommend checking it from IMDb.  You can check this by scrolling to “Production company” on the film’s pages and if you find the production company we represent there or among the distributors, it is part of the license.

You can always contact us in case of doubt, and we will check for you whether the film belongs to our representation.

Can I get a Film License only for a specific course or class?

We do not license a Yhdistelmä- or Vuosilupa for a certain number of courses. In Yhdistelmälupa, we price licenses for educational institutions for the entire number of students at €4.25/pupil and in the Annual License at €3.50/pupil.

As an advantage of these licenses, the school staff can show the films we represent in unlimited quantities every year, including short samples that support teaching. The school’s minimum invoicing is €220/year + VAT 24% and an invoicing surcharge of €12.50.

Alternatively, you can take advantage of our Kertalupa for the course, where the price is €185 / film / show + VAT 24% and an invoicing surcharge of €12.50.

Can I get a Film License for the whole city's cultural activity?

We license public performance permits per space, which means in practice in this case Yhdistelmä- or Vuosilupa are licensed for several city buildings. Feel free to contact us if you want, for example, public performance permits for more than one school in your town or a permit for the city’s school, library, and youth center. In that case, we will consider a discount for licensing several spaces.

If, for example, the library space is licensed, another public entity such as cultural, educational and youth organizations can use the library space to show films.

Can I show licensed films in the yard of the venue?

It is possible to apply for a film license only for performance venues that are located indoors. For outdoor and drive-in shows, we offer Kertalupa. Read more about drive-in shows.

Can I decide the start date of the film license myself?

Yes. With the application, you can choose the exact day because you want the validity of the Yhdistelmä-, Vuosi-, or Kertalupa to start. The invoicing period for the Yhdistelmä- and Vuosilupa is always 12 months at a time and continues automatically. Please indicate separately when filling out the application or through another means, if you want the license to expire after 12 months.

How long does it take to process a license application?

Normally 1-3 business days. In possible peak seasons (November-December) it may take longer. Once your application has been confirmed as received and accepted, you can start submitting. We will deliver the license certificate within three weeks of receiving the payment.

If you did not find the information you were looking for from this page, please contact us.

Contact information